Friday, January 29, 2010

attention Austen fans



Good news: If you missed the premier of the first installment of the new PBS Emma, you can get caught up at the website this very minute. In the little prelude we hear Austen's own introduction to the character of Emma, "a heroine whom no-one but myself will much like."

I love it and can't wait for next Sunday night! The chemistry between the two leads is palpable, but I do think Knightly is too young and gorgeous. He makes up for it with stern disdain for Emma, which almost masks his affection for her. Romola Garai is excellent as Emma: beautiful, confident, annoying and naive. Miss Bates is maybe my favorite--you really feel the story behind her nervous nature.

Anyway, if you are a fan, watch it and come back here to let me know what you think.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the info!! I'm so excited!! I hadn't heard anything about it so thanks again for the post!

Eldon and Janeil Olsen said...

I love the scenery and the old houses. It's well done. thanks.

Darilyn said...

You are a lifesaver. I've been so sad I missed this. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Tonya said...

I LOVE Jane Austen!!! Thanks for the heads up!!! YAY :)

Gail said...

I got a phone call in the middle of it, but knew and am glad I can watch it online! Keep in mind that the expiration is Eastern. (So don't figure you'll get up till midnight on the last day!) It was rather a shock getting cut off the last time I watched a whole set and then abruptly lost out on the tail-end. :(

Anonymous said...

I watched it with g-ma the other day, it's Ah-mazing!!

Anonymous said...

I watched the last episode with GreatGrandmaforAriana. We are not supposed to judge a book by its cover but Emma seemed to make a continually pained/pinched expression with her mouth that distracted. The poor friend that she made fun of and got in trouble for making fun of was in an excellent British comedy called "Black Books". She lived next door to a bookstore owner. c-bones