Sunday, April 15, 2012

countdown to 40

Forty days until I turn forty. I'm just going to admit to myself and everyone else, it's kind of a big deal. So I thought about giving up something for those days (yes, like lent), so I can be my happiest, best self on the day I turn forty. I thought about all my worst habits: chocolate, sugar, coke zero, snacking between meals, sleeping late, staying up late, television, lazy justifications for not exercising, more chocolate. (Yikes--that list was longer than I thought it would be.)

But instead of those obvious weaknesses, I'm going to give up my worst habit of all: being judgmental of myself and others. I'm going to try to eliminate criticism. I have done this little exercise before (thanks to my inspirational friend Heidi), but I've definitely slipped back into the bad habit. I find my inner dialogue is often so negative I can hardly stand hearing myself think. So I'm going to work on giving myself positive inner feedback, and look for the best in everyone else, too.

Here are some concerns:
  • Can I parent four kids without criticism? It is one thing not to let it pass your lips, but quite another not to let it enter your mind. 
  • Is it a dereliction to ignore your child's faults? Is this good parenting?
  • If I refrain from judging others, will my children benefit from my example, or be more susceptible to negative examples from others? I realize they don't need to constantly hear my take on the world, but would my silence seem like condoning? 
Well, wish me luck. This experiment is my gift to myself. It's probably time to throw out all the Easter chocolate, as well.

7 comments:

g said...

can't answer any of those.

i'll be interested to hear how it turns out.

good luck and happy count down.

Darilyn said...

Of course your children will benefit from your example. but I have to say that I highly doubt you criticize others out loud to your children because they are some of the finest human beings I know. I don't see them being judgmental at all. And yes, you can parent without finding fault in your children. Although my children would say I'm not very good at this.

Eldon and Janeil Olsen said...

All the parenting formulas I've studied say, "Catch them doing it right." (And comment on it.) You don't have to be a silent parent.

angela michelle said...

I've had the exact same thoughts regarding chocolate, Coke Zero, and criticism. I've never been quite able to convince myself to totally quit criticizing my children. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Tonya said...

You can do it!

And I like what Eldon and Janeil Olsen had to say. I agree.

Lisa Rampton Halverson said...

I want to hear how this goes! Criticism is definitely a parenting "technique" I'm guilty of.

Hmm -- just discussed "The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" in my book club tonight. I'm sure Amy Chua would never have this goal! :)

Also just want to say: you sure are a young almost-40!!

Neil said...

I've decided there's no place in my life for chocolate that isn't dark.
I'm stuggeling with being an effective parent to one of my kids. Motivating him to do homework is complicated each time. After a long discussion I wasn't able to get a committment to empty the dishwasher.
I suspect the usefulness of critizising depends on the developmental age and personality of the child. Does Larry Lawrence's Oct '10 conference example of warning then moving an unwilling child off the railroad track extend to getting them to complete their "states of matter" homework, or does that not matter?