
"With all that is going on, it is plainly evident that both the great good and the terrible evil found in the world today are the sweet and the bitter fruits of the rearing of yesterday's children. The evils of the world will continue to escalate unless there is an underlying acknowledgment, even a strong and fervent conviction, that the family is an instrument of the Almighty."
President Gordon B. Hinckley
My New Year's resolution was to have a "devotional moment" with my children every day. Sometimes it happens in the car, sometimes not all 4 kids are present, sometimes it doesn't happen. But when it does, it feels great. It usually starts with something like, "I just want you guys to know I'm so grateful for repentance. Here is what I was reading about repentance today..." I just want my children to know that my testimony is part of who I am, fundamentally. I want us to talk of Christ, rejoice in Christ, all the time. I want it to be a natural part of daily discussions in our home. Rather than a tacked-on part of the day. So that's my goal.
President Hinckley really helped us understand, as a culture, how much peril our families face. It's so easy to slip into the stupor of our comfortable lives, but rough times are ahead, especially for our children. I hope mine know where I stand. And I hope they feel the safety of the walls of this home.
9 comments:
I'm sure that they will! That is one of the things that I treasure most about the home that I grew up in is that the gospel was talked about constantly as part of everyday conversation and my parents never missed a moment to teach us when it came up! It's invaluable! And I think it becomes more a part of who we are when it is so constant.
It's so interesting that I would read this right now at this moment. I just got home from an evening spent with some friends discussing this very subject. The world is becoming a very difficult place to raise children not to mention protecting them. The more in tune with the spirit we can be the better.
Sometimes I forget to talk of Christ and rejoice in Christ like I should. Thanks for reminding me that I can and should do that everyday. There is a definite power and protection that comes as we bear testimony to our children. I needed that reminder. Thanks Brenda!
What a great idea! Is it taboo to steal someone else's new years resolution?
What an great idea, just think of all the memories they'll have of feeling the spirit outside their own home. Your testimony really is inspiring, I felt blessed by it myself many times, and what a blessing for your kids.
Oh, that's just wonderful. You're right...discussing spiritual topics shouldn't be an afterthought. We really need to take good care of our children.
That is so great. You are such an awesome example. I want to start doing that too.
That is such a great idea. I am going to try it. That way, the kids won't feel that the gospel is just something that's discussed at fhe or on Sunday or when someone is in trouble.Also, i think it would help me focus my own scripture study so I'm seeking for the things my children need to know about.
Are you sure there have been family devotionals, cause I don't think I was at any.
Post a Comment