I really try to keep my blogging upbeat, and focus on the nicest parts of my life. But under the shiny veneer there are some really bad days. Days where I don't feel well, everyone seems to be mad at each other, and nothing goes as planned. School doesn't start until next week, but it's rainy and everyone is out of sorts. We need a cat-in-the-hat to bound through the front door and teach us how to smile again. Or maybe most of us are a little old for that.
Does it seem to other Oregonians like school should have started yesterday? My girls seem to think so. They had some friends over and they made up a game called "report." They gathered around the kitchen table and talked about their favorite animals. Then they got into teams and drew animal names out of a hat. Then they asked if they could use the internet to research their animals so they could write their "reports." They proceeded to gather information and write out their little papers. Okay, so they are little angels. I feel better just telling a nice story about them.
It's much better than the story of the girl who wanted the light on at night versus the girl who didn't. Not so angelic. Or the girl who purposely gets her burrito all over herself because she likes to feel her food.
Yeah, angels or not, we're all ready for school.
7 comments:
Having grown up here in Portland, I've only known school to start after Labor Day (and the associated last-weekend-of-summer dread/anticipation/celebration on the holiday weekend). It's cute that they're getting into the spirit of school early, though... I guess they're ready :)
And yes, I can understand the upbeat vs. "real" blogging. I do both when it seems right but still try to look on the brighter side of life anyway, while I'm living it, so I do tend to stay with a lighter focus as well. But rainy days do happen, and when you look back later on your blog-as-your-journal, sometimes the memories of those times are also ones you want to recall and you can realize the good that came out of even those kind.
Sometimes quite a bit later, of course.
I have issues with the only upbeat blogging. Issues regarding myself. On a few occasions I really laid it out there about how I was feeling (not so upbeat) and the comments made me feel worse. So now I only put happy things, which is a bit lame in my opinion. I mean, it's my blog. And I'm not always happy.
@Darilyn, that's happened to me too once or twice, (although I think the times comments have actually helped me cope with one thing or another have outnumbered them quite a bit) but like you said, it's your journal/blog/whatever you view it as, and you should express what's going on.
Of course, some common sense is usually a good idea, too. My blog is private more just because I don't want to be the easiest target for spammers, stalkers and other Internet miscreants (recording a lot about our family's experiences and all, pictures of our kids, etc), but feeling more at ease to express yourself because at least you know who you're expressing yourself to is nice, too.
If people can't handle what you have to say, then your blog might not be for them, or that entry might not be one for them to read. But it's your life, your blog, you should feel free to speak as you are most comfortable.
oh brenda, love this. I think you and I were on similar wavelengths yesterday. Thank you for sharing a teeny glimpse into the dark side.
I try to keep my blog pretty upbeat as well. Which is why I tend to post disgusting/snarky things on facebook. :)
(Also, now I have reason #79 why this baby should be a girl: Then I can refer to "a girl" without giving away anyone's naughty identity.)
Jaxon's a regular attending Kindergartner now and I LOVE it! So yes, I believe that school should have started. And that post still seemed pretty sunny to me. Oh, and how are we going to get Heidi in that house next door to you? I'm in love with that idea.
Sounds like the kids AND the moms are ready for school to start. Save those reports--they might come in handy later.
Hi Sweetie, I look forward to the month of blog posts. Here are a few suggested topics from our wonderful summer: Hunger Games trilogy (3 days worth), Mountain Biking at Deer Valley, The meaning of rules at Classic Fun Center, Reams - past and present, Girl Cousins (Grace, Laura, and Kate), Science Fair, Books on Tape, Weapons dealers in the Pendleton Oregon area, Camp Alpine, Satchels, Sam vs. Nature (for lunch). Let me know if you need more...
- Mike
Post a Comment